Monday, February 3, 2014

16:1 poetry

I've never been really into poetry, but I never reallly was against it either. Then I started AP Lit. I still don't despise poetry, but I don't like analyzing it how College Board wants us to. I prefer to read or listen to a poem, think about what I feel it's about, and enjoy the art that way. Instead, we have to figure out what the greatest poets were thinking and analyze it, all in about 7 minutes per poem. Sometimes I don't understand poems, and that's that. So now that I have to be the best poet analyist in order to do well on the test, it's frustrating. I look at a poem, I read it again, and again, and again. I look at the questions, and read the poem again. But sometimes it stil just doesn't click. So, at least for homework, I can look online and see what other people have analyzed the poem to mean, and even that's not always right. So then I'm left very frustrated, beginning to develop feelings against poetry. Why can't we just read some good heart-felt poetry that is deep but accessible, and talk aboutt that? I'd much prefer that than analyzing a piece by Emily Dickinson in 7 minutes while taking an AP class. 

No comments:

Post a Comment