Monday, February 3, 2014

17:1 "if i should have a daughter"

Ever since I watched her poem on a TED conference a couple years ago, Sarah Kay's "If I Should Have a Daughter" has always resonated with me. Not only does it explain what I wish for my future children, but what I hope for myself, and what my  mom has encouraged of me. Kay wishes to let her daughter grow and shine, and support her even when things don't go her way. She wishes for her daughter to keep an open mind and accept that no matter how hard she tries, she cannot do everything. To apologize when she's done something wrong, but never to apologize for the light in her eyes.

I havve had somme major opportuunities come knocking recently, and my mom has already enforced that I should not let them change me. She has always done her best to keep me humble and kind, though I do not always meet her expectations. However, she knows I am human too, and cannot be perfect. She encourages me to follow my passions and be independent. As I've been maturing I have been learning to follow different mantras in order to be my best self: "just do it", "hakuna matata: it means no worries", "you can't win if you don't try", "20 seconds of courage", "fake it 'til you make it", and  "happiness is a choice." These can all be tough to follow, but I know they are all in my best innterest. I am very thankful that my mom (and dad) has/have raised me to be confident, independent, and open-minded. I'm not in any way saying I'm perfect- everyone could be a better person somehow- but I choose to be happy and I'm working on being more positive, loving, and caring, and that's a good place to start. 

As I progress with my attitudes and choices, I hope everyone takes Kay's wishes for her daughter, not just for their children, but for him/herself as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment