Monday, January 13, 2014

15:1 Water for Elephants

Sara Gruen's novel, Water for Elephants, is a surprisingly captivating story. The author uses literary frames to descibe Jacob Jankowski's life of the past and present. I first decided to read the novel upon coming across it in a thrift store, when I remembered how interesting the movie trailer seemed, though the goal of movie trailers is to make a story look exciting, in order to attract viewers. I figured I would give the book a shot, as it would be good for me to read anyway. I'm glad I made this decision.

Based on Gruen's findings during extensive circus research, the characters and the plot come together to make a high-action, awe-striking story. The story is filled with murder, greed, love, and passion. I believe the novel could be classified as a bildungsfoman, as Jacob is transformed from a vetrinary student to a man, built by his experiences with the circus. 

It might not be the most appropriate book, and I could see reasons why it might not be the book for everyone, but it is definitely one of my favorites now. The novel combined all the commponents I look for in a story, and did not disappoint. If you love action, adventure, romance, and mystery, all with surprising plot twists, this book is for you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment